Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mid-February Update

It's been a little over six weeks since I last posted here on The Creative.  While I do miss the regular posts, having the time to focus on my creativity has been really good for me personally. 

I spent some time off and on during most of January journaling, trying to come to terms with what I wanted to accomplish this year.  I spent some time working on my writing, and that really didn't get anywhere.  I spent some time composing, mainly piano pieces I could play in church during January.  I was getting things done, but it all felt a bit ... meandery.  So, I did what I do when I feel meandery -- I set a goal.

On January 29, I set the goal that I would finish 20 handbell compositions by the end of March.  Today is February 19, less than a month later, and I have 7 completely finished, and 2 more rough drafts done.  Some of them are brand new, started-from-scratch pieces.  Some of them are pieces I had started or nearly finished in the past several years and just got around to straightening up and getting publication-ready. 

So far, I've submitted 4 of the finished ones to publishers, and have already had 2 of them accepted (one a brand-new creation, the other a piece I wrote about a third of sometime last year).  Once I get a few more finished up, more will be sent out, and by the end of March, all 20 of the pieces should be out in the world, either happy in their new home, or else seeking it.

There has also been some good news on the publication front from before this goal.  I submitted several of my piano pieces in mid January and had 4 of them picked up for the Lorenz publication The Church Pianist.  Then, last year I had submitted some of my SATB choral pieces, and I'm happy to say that one of them was picked up for the Lorenz publication The Volunteer Choir.  That marks my first choral publication, something I'm quite excited about.

I've also been receiving royalty checks and sales reports from some of my publishers.  I'm pleased to say that I've heard from about half of my publishers, and 2012 was a great year for me.  So far I've sold more copies of music than I did in 2011, and again, that's with news from only about half of the fine folks who publish my music.  A huge thank you to them, and an even bigger thank you goes out to all of you who bought and played my music.  I can't thank you enough.

So that's where we are right now. I'm confident I'll finish my 20 pieces on or before March 31, and at that point, I'll turn to ... well, I haven't decided yet, but it will probably be a smaller goal than 20 pieces in 62 days.

Here's hoping that your own creative pursuits are going well.  I can't say for sure when I'll write again, but look for something near the beginning of March.  Until then, happy creating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment